Re: Issues with Debian packages of KDE3 and locally installed software

  (aside: please Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed)

Michael Schuerig <schuerig@acm.org> writes:
> On Monday 11 November 2002 02:03, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   This appears to be some sort of problem with the KDE settings: the
> > search is performed from what appears to be a library function,
> > "locate", and this function doesn't search in /usr/local for data
> > files.
>
> It searches in KDEDIRS (plural, see below) and ~/.kde
>
> >   Presumably there's a setting in the KDE libraries that could get it
> > to behave properly.  I tried modifying /etc/kderc, but it seems to be
> > ignored, or maybe my guess at what should be in this (entirely
> > undocumented) file was wrong.  After poking around a bit more, I
> > tried setting KDEDIRS to /usr/local, and the program ran.
> >
> >   This probably should be fixed in the packages (preferably before
> > you release them to unstable, or at least a bit afterwards)
>
> No, the packages are fine, as far as I can tell. Just set KDEDIRS
> appropriately. I have the following line in /etc/environment
>
> KDEDIRS=/usr:/usr/local/kde:/usr/local

  Hi,

  I think you misunderstood me -- a default installation of Debian KDE3
does not allow programs to be installed in /usr/local.  This is Not Right.
I don't care if I can work around it by setting an environment variable,
changing a config file, or standing on my head and reciting the alphabet
backwards, it should work properly in the first place.

  Daniel

|        Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?         |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/