kpackage 2.2.2-7 problem & work-around

I know everyone is focused on getting KDE 3.X up & running, but I thought I would pass this along for those of us who are sticking with KDE 2.2... This problem will probably only affect those few like me who are using KDE 2.2 and "testing". I know this probably isn't the "best" or even a "correct" solution, but it got it working for me..

The kpackage 2.2.2-7 app quit working on me a while back, but since I had switched to using Synaptic as my package manager I let it ride. Today I decided to look into it a bit and try to figure out what was wrong. The symptom was that when clicking on the "Package Manager" icon in the System menu would cause kpackage to try to start, but would then abort. Manually starting kpackage via a terminal window showed it was looking for "librpmdb-4.0.3.so" and couldn't find it. A coursory exam of my system showed the version had been updated in "testing" recently to "librpmdb-4.0.4.so" along with some other files in the librpm4 and librpm-dev packages. The correct files are still available in Debian "stable". Once I corrected this particular complaint, I got another just like it on another librpmxxxx.so file.

I finally got it working by creating symlinks between the required "...4.0.3" files in /usr/lib/ and the "...4.0.4" files. I had to create symlinks for the following:

librpm-4.0.3.so  --> librpm-4.0.4.so
librpmbuild-4.0.3.so --> librpmbuild-4.0.4.so
librpmdb-4.0.3.so --> librpmdb-4.0.4.so
librpmio-4.0.3.so --> librpmio-4.0.4.so

HTH,

Cheers,