Re: Different KDE's on same machine

söndagen den 3 november 2002 09.16 skrev Ross Boylan:

> Is the correct interpretation that the binary debian packages can not
> both be installed at once, but that if you are willing to muck around
> with the paths in the build process (and afterwords in your
> environment) you can do it?

The problem with the debian packages is that the different versions of KDE,
have files with the same names.  There are also files in the /usr/share
directory tree that clash, or in some cases some files should not be there
for a certain version of kde to work.

> If I do try such a bold move, does anyone have suggestions about
> exactly where I need to make the tweak?  Ideally, I'd like to build
> debs but have them install to something like /usr/local/kde3.
> (Hmm.. I guess I'd need to alter the conflict info in the control
> files as well if I really want them both on my system via debs.)  Or
> would it be smarter to do the regular (non-debian) build?

I think you might get into trouble, with a debian build. Many files in the
debian directory have the paths hard-coded in them. You can make a mass
search-and-replace on the paths, but if you don't know exactly what you do, I
think you easily might get into trouble somewhere.

And then there is another special feature of KDE, the kdeinit process. To make
the matter short, you need to call the right version of kdeinit. But since
there is only one name "kdeinit", you can only have one version running at
the same time. This is the reason I changed the name to "kdeinit4" in my KDE
build, since that way all programs from that build can co-exist with
"kdeinit" from another version of KDE.

> P.P.S. I saw the earlier advice against building from CVS head on KDE,
> but is that so dangerous with them in advanced beta on 3.1?  I am also
> a bit puzzled by the tagging.  qt-copy seems not to have the KDE
> release tags, and at least one project I checked a few days ago
> already had what seemed to be the final 3.1 tag.  For example,
> http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebase/AUTHORS
> shows the tag KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE

KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE appears to actually be the frozen KDE 3.1 rc1. kmail does
not even compile,  and it appears that bugfixes goes to HEAD.
AFAIK KDE 3.1 requires qt from qt-copy. Building qt-copy will install QT 3.1
(beta) for g++ 3.2, and thus invalidate all all QT and KDE applications build
for KDE >= 3.0. I have built QT3.1 beta with old GCC, so that all old QT3.0.x
programs stays compatible.

-- Karolina