Different KDE's on same machine

An earlier post (by someone else) on this topic led to the FAQ at
http://davidpashley.com/debian-kde/faq.html.  It says you can't
install KDE2 and 3 at the same time (point 2.4).

On the other hand, this page
http://women.kde.org/projects/coding/kde2+3.phtml
describes how to do it.

Is the correct interpretation that the binary debian packages can not
both be installed at once, but that if you are willing to muck around
with the paths in the build process (and afterwords in your
environment) you can do it?

If I do try such a bold move, does anyone have suggestions about
exactly where I need to make the tweak?  Ideally, I'd like to build
debs but have them install to something like /usr/local/kde3.
(Hmm.. I guess I'd need to alter the conflict info in the control
files as well if I really want them both on my system via debs.)  Or
would it be smarter to do the regular (non-debian) build?

Thanks.

P.S. If you could cc me I'd appreciate it, since I'm checking the list
through the archives.

P.P.S. I saw the earlier advice against building from CVS head on KDE,
but is that so dangerous with them in advanced beta on 3.1?  I am also
a bit puzzled by the tagging.  qt-copy seems not to have the KDE
release tags, and at least one project I checked a few days ago
already had what seemed to be the final 3.1 tag.  For example,
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebase/AUTHORS
shows the tag KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE