KDE based programs won't run as user

I am running woody, I am having trouble getting programs that use kde to run, I think it has something to do with DCOP server a what that is, this is the output I get whenever I try to run something that uses dcop
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
IO error opening ICE Connection!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = quanta path = <unknown> pid = 2109

These programs run fine as root

any suggestions?