Re: KDE3 in sid update

On Sunday 28 July 2002 11:06 pm, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 06:33:09PM +0100, John Gay wrote:
> > So what are the known working versions of GCC for compiling KDE3 with?
> >
> > I am looking to try my hand at building a Pentium-optimised box from
> > scratch. lfs uses GCC2.95.5 but Debian provides both GCC2.95.5 and GCC3?
> >
> > I've also looked into PGCC, but the latest patches they have are for
> > GCC2.95.3 and the site seems to be un-maintained.
>
> It is known to work on 2.95.4 and 3.0.x since those are the versions in
> Debian already.  It will probably work with 3.1/3.2 but I am not
> certain.

This is what is puzzling me, if kde 3 can be compiled and works well with
GCC2.95 why haven't the debs for kde compiled with that compiler been put
into sid.  Why is it necessary to wait for a GCC3.x compiler that works - why
not re-release the debs with a slightly later version number when that time
comes?

I've been reading this list for a while, but if there was an explanation
somewhere I must have missed it, sorry.

I know I can get the stuff from elsewhere, but to keep these weird lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list seems a little "unofficial".

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk