libpng conflict

Hey folks, I'm looking for some guidance.  I've read through all
the mailing list threads I could find on this topic, as well as
the BTS, and I'm left scratching my head.

I need to have both the kde/qt and gnome/gtk development environments
installed at the same time, and that just doesn't seem to be possible
right now.  As I understand it, it all boils down to libpng2-dev vs
libpng-dev.  The non-dev kde and gnome packages have been made to
coexist, but the development packages have not.

Can anyone suggest a workaround for this that I can apply right away?

Thanks.

John Bazik
jsb@cs.brown.edu