Re: KDE3 and KDE2 side by side

On Saturday 27 July 2002 2:17 pm, Gerhard Gaussling wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2002 14:51 schrieb Nikita V. Youshchenko:

> is there anybody who is planning to work on an unofficial
> deb-package of KDE 3.1 that could be set to /opt or something
> similar, to avoid conflicts with KDE 2.x ? I heard about hours of
> compilingtime and other complications to compile kde from source.

Yes, compilation can take quite a while.  Note that I never managed to get it
working with gcc-3.1 (compiles but dcop doesn't work).  The 'standard' debian
gcc/g++ in sid works a treat (didn't try this with woody).

Hmmm, maybe one should change the way kde is packaged.  Would it be possible
to package kde like

	/opt/kde/<version>/...

or something similar?

This would not be that much of a problem if dpkg would support different
install root directories, maybe something like

	dpkg --prefix=/opt/kde/3.0.2  -i ...

Am I barfing up the wrong tree here?