KDE 2.2.2 doesn't honor $HOME or ~ in config files

I'm a system administrator working on a standardized Debian workstation
image for our company. All hardware is identical, all installs
identical, etc., etc., etc.

In trying to create a default KDE desktop config, I have created a
sample user, logged into KDE via kdm as that user, and put all settings
as they need to be. I then logged out as that user, and from a console
as root I copied the /home/<sampleuser>/.kde directory to /etc/skel and
set appropriate permissions.

This works more-or-less, but for instance ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
and ~/.kde/share/config/kombarc have hard-coded paths. Replacing the
prepended paths with either '~' or $HOME is unsuccessful, as it appears
KDE does not honor these rather standard conventions. I'm currently
forced to manually change these config files to point to the hard-coded
path corresponding to the new user.

I'm trying to eliminate manual configuration of new PCs by automating
and standardizing just about everything, and manually editing files does
not fit into that approach at all.

Is this a KDE bug, or is it simply the way it's packaged for Debian?

Does anyone even care about the packages still in main, or should I just
shut up and wait for 3.x to make its' way into sarge sometime in the
year 2004 and then complain if it still doesn't work? <g>
--
Brad Felmey