Re: Sick and tired of the little font boxes

On Saturday 13 July 2002 14:04, Andy Saxena wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:26:26PM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> > 	I don't understand this at all: I cannot get the fonts to display
> > properly in KDE. Most of the TrueType and all of the Type1 fonts come out
> > as boxes. I'm running KDE 3.0.2 and xfs-xtt 1.3.0 (i.e., the latest).
> > Anti-aliasing is enabled. (Although disabling doesn't help anything.)
> > There are only an odd handful of fonts that work, all of which are the MS
> > fonts. The odd thing is that everything looks fine under GNOME. I've
> > tried nuking my ~/.kde directory, but to no avail. What gives?
> >
> > 	:Peter
>
> Are you using version 4 or later of X?
	Yes; I'm using the very latest from sid. (Not the 4.2 experimental ones,
however.)

> What does Section "Module" say in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file?

Section "Module"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "pex5"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "xie"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "int10"
EndSection

> If you are using version 4 or later of X, you could try disabling
> xfs-xtt to see if the font display changes. To disable xfs-xtt just remove
> the 7110 FontPath entry. Instead of using xfs X will use the FontPath
> entries directly.
	I just tried this (again). First I just commented out the 7110 FontPath part,
exited KDE, hit Alt-E in kdm to restart X, logged back into KDE, opened up
the Control Panel, looked at the fonts: little boxes. So then I entered
'/etc/init.d/xfs-xtt stop', verified that it was stopped, exited, restarted
X, logged back in--and still got little boxes. I've similarily played with
turning anti-aliasing on and off, but nothing works. What's driving me mad is
that all the fonts work just fine in GNOME, so it _should_ work in KDE. For
the record, here also is the "Files" section of my XFConfig-4 file:

Section "Files"
#  FontPath     "unix/:7110"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/thryomanes"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts"
  FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
  FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
  FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
#  FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
#  FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
  FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
EndSection

(Note that the I just commented out the last two entries for TrueType and
Type1 fonts; I've tried those paths as well, and all that happens is that I
get duplicate fonts that are displayed as boxes.)
	:Peter