Re: Customization questions

Craig Dickson wrote:

>   (Speaking of which: Is there a KDE-specific per-user session startup
>   script?)

I think I have answered this question for myself, and the answer is "no".
It seems like a useful thing to have, though, so I created one. Here is
what I did, in case anyone else is interested in having such a thing, or
wants to tell me why it's a stupid idea or why my method is stupid:

In /etc/kde3/debian/startkde, just after the invocation of ksplash, I
added this:

    if [ -e $HOME/.kdestart ]; then
        . $HOME/.kdestart
    fi

I source the file, rather than launching a sub-shell, to allow .kdestart
to modify KDE's environment. In particular, I dislike the fact that
KDE's session never runs my .bash_profile (Konsole ignores it;
apparently Konsole has no "run as login shell" option, unlike most other
xterms), so my personal .kdestart sources .bash_profile.

> - With KDM, what is the best place to put system-wide X initialization
>   such as xmodmap settings?

I haven't experimented with this yet, but I think KDM launches
/etc/X11/Xsession (with the name of the chosen session as an argument),
so presumably dropping a file into /etc/X11/Xsession.d would do the
trick.

Craig