Tranparent Konsole unusable -- Gnome 2 related?

    I've been having problems with my transparent Konsole which I
think might be related to the Gnome 2 packages.  I'm running the KDE
3.0.4 packages off kde.org on sid.

    When I start Konsole, instead of showing the desktop image as the
Konsole background it shows whatever is displaying beneath it -- a
window and its border, the desktop icons, whatever.  It's *really*
transparent.

    I'd better put some screenshots up:

    http://www.rivenstone.net/images/konsole/konsole2.jpg

    If I move the Konsole window around, the background does not
change, but if I move another window on top of Konsole, that window
then shows in place of the background when Konsole is raised again.

    http://www.rivenstone.net/images/konsole/konsole3.jpg

    Also, the background doesn't redraw itself in the place of text
that is deleted or scrolled off the screen, so text looks like it's
leaving a "trail".  This is best demonstrated with a shot of a konsole
after running `ls`.

    http://www.rivenstone.net/images/konsole/konsole4.jpg

    So I've figured out that the background isn't drawing *at all*.
If you look at this last screenshot of a really fscked up Konsole
running top, you can see the one line of reverse video is fine --
because it's all text.

    http://www.rivenstone.net/images/konsole/konsole1.jpg

    The reason I think this problem might be related to the Gnome 2
packages is that I first had this problem a two months or so ago just after
installing some of those packages out of experimental.  I eventually
took the experimental lines out of my sources.list about a month ago.

    One day, out of the blue, Konsole stopped acting funny.  It was
fine for about a week, and then it started up again after running
`apt-get upgrade` for the first time after the Gnome 2 packages hit
unstable.

    This isn't a whole lot to go on, sorry.  I seem to be able to fix
most problems on my own, but I don't even know where to begin with this.

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

Rothchild's Rule -- "For every phenomenon, however complex, someone will
    eventually come up with a simple and elegant theory. This theory will
    be wrong."