Re: Browser Rendering Uncovered

From: "Simon Hepburn" <sth@blueyonder.co.uk>

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > Are you seriously telling me that FreeType (which I _only_ have for support
> > of my TTF fonts), as delivered by Debian, doesn't support anti-aliasing,
> > and I have to recompile it?
>
> It's not a question of whether it supports AA or not, its whether it uses the
> bytecode interpreter to do so. The current version in sid has the bytecode
> interpreter turned on. See /usr/share/doc/libfreetype6 for more info.

That doesn't begin to answer the question.  I'm not running FreeType from sid,
I'm on 2.1.2-7 from testing. I can't see anything in /usr/share/doc/libfreetype6
that tells me anything about bytecode interpreters or antialiasing being either
on or off - what is there is an, apparently intentionally, vague disclaimer that
the bytecode interpreter may be an infringement of an Apple patent.

So I ask again, "Is Debian really delivering a FreeType package incapable of
supporting anti-aliasing?" - which is what the original poster seemed to believe
was the situation.  I don't plan to infringe any patents and, if the bytecode
interpreter is necessary for AA, I'll drop FreeType. If antialiasing works even
without the interpreter, then the original poster can't have been right that he
needed to compile FreeType from source.
--
derek