Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:06:05AM -0400, Joey Hess scrawled:
>     Debian should follow the lead of every other major distro and offer the
>     exact same menu layout throughout.
>
>       -- http://debianplanet.net/node.php?id=831
>
> I cannot help but shudder when I read that comment in this negative
> Debian review. We *led* the way: we wrote menu, we put everything in
> menu, we made every window manager (even twm, for crying out loud!) use
> menu. And then gnome and kde came along, and we threw all that out the
> window. No excuses: This stinks. We should be able to do much better.

Not necessarily. When I use KDE, I largely want to use KDE apps. I
personally think GNOME/KDE should offer their own menus, with a submenu
in each category for "Non-{GNOME,KDE} Applications". I don't see a
problem with this, i.e. how our KDE3 packages do it.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
Developer - http://kopete.kde.org, http://www.kde.org