Re: [debian-kde] List configuration & usability

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:19:56AM +1000, Nigel A. Chapman wrote:
> The list does not prefix its postings with the list name, eg.
> [debian-kde] (as in my subject line).  This makes the postings very
> difficult to visually distinguish from the couple of dozen spam messages
> in my inbox.  I administer a number of yahoogroups and mailman lists,
> and believe this to be sufficently 'standard' that I'm surprised not to
> find it on the debian lists.

AFAIK, it's a deliberate decision by the list admins.  A lot of people
just find it annoying to waste space in the subject line, given how
trivial it is to filter mail from lists into specific folder...

I use mutt and adding [debian-kde] to each subject line would take away
about a third of the available subject space.  I think that space would
be much better spent describing the subject of your email:)

> It has occurred to me that I could probably set up filtering in Mozilla
> to use the X-Loop (or some other) header as a send-to-a-folder criterion
> to get around this, but (1) there will be lots and lots of potential
> users who wouldn't think of that, (2) no other list I subscribe to
> requires this and (3) I'm not yet sure of the value of belonging to this
> list, due to this problem, so I'm not too inclined to spend a much time.
> looking into that.  Maybe that's lazy, yes. :)

I've found the Debian lists to be some of the friendliest around.  If
you ever need help with general Debian issues, debian-user will sort you
out, while here is for KDE specific stuff.

-rob