Re: KDE3 apt-get problem

This is a bit of a wild guess because you did not say which unofficial KDE3
packages you are attempting to use or what the rest of your system
configuration is (debian version, in particular).  I'm going to reply at
length in the hopes that many lurking newbies may benefit from a post that
hits a broad variety of topics involved with installing KDE3.  I do not
particularly consider myself an expert, but I offer what I can.

I recall having to pull several packages, in particular library packages, from
unstable and sort out multiple dependency problems when I installed KDE3 on
my woody system.  This is because KDE3 is not yet officially in Debian, and
even if it were, it would be unstable or testing, yielding many of the same
dependency problems for someone installing on a Debian 3.0 stable system.
KDE3 is a huge software package and there _are_ going to be issues when
installing on woody.  Use KDE3 packages built _for_ woody, which have shown
up since I did my upgrade :), or you're going to need some libraries from
unstable.

It seems likely that you do not have unstable in your apt sources.list, so add
it.  But a word of caution: it seems that the typical route with KDE3 is to
add unstable to the sources.list and let dselect or apt-get pull virtually
all of unstable down in the process of KDE3 ;).  However, besides using woody
packages, there is another method; you can run a mixed
unstable/testing/stable system by using pinning and setting the default
distribution as detailed in the APT HOWTO.  I prefer this because I do not
want certain parts of the system to be upgraded to unstable.  However, I had
to explicitly tell apt-get to upgrade to unstable libraries necessary for
KDE3 via "apt-get -t unstable install [package_name]".  Which meant that I
had to compare version numbers, etc. manually.

My final advice, again not knowing for sure what exactly you're trying to do:
since you are confused about how to resolve the version conflict between
zlib1g and zlib1g-dev, *find and use the woody-based unofficial KDE3
packages*.  Hopefully this will go fixed...but be warned that yes, there are
going to be genuine packaging bugs, and you're going to have to get around
them as best you can.  KDE3 has not been subjected yet to the rigors of the
Debian process.  :)  But, if you are as specific as possible when writing to
the list, the problems will be resolved and you'll have a working KDE3
install.

Good luck.

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 07:13 am, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> I apt-getted KDE3 on it.Now when I am trying to run dselect it complain
> that there is some  version confjict about zlib1g and zlib1g-dev and also
> some other packages I don't know what can I do? Is it a bug or something
> that can be solved. Could anybody help me please?

David Richmond
Harvard 2006
drich@symphonicman.com
AIM: DavidTigre201