RE: 178 days and counting

 Malcolm,

I would prefer not to.  Others are shoving it down my throat that i'm a
dumbass microsoft user who'd be better off with Redhat et al.  Others are
also shoving it down my throat that it's me that's stuffing it up at my end,
and that that is why it is not working.  Others are saying that they all got
it to work without any issues, so therefore it must be me that's at fault.
And i'm sick of those implications.  If others can get it to work, then why
can I not also do the same?  As far as I can see, i'm not doing anything
wrong with the way I have things setup.  OK I admit that i'm new to Debian
linux.  But I'm not totally new to Linux in general.

Anyways, I went ahead and accepted it as "y" and it did some stuff.  It then
connect to the http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody ./ site.  It
started d/l packages and it was like  "yay, finally".  I went and made a
cuppa and came back to find this:

0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kugar_1.2.0-1woody1_i
386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kspread_1.2.0-1woody1
_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kpresenter_1.2.0-1woo
dy1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/koshell_1.2.0-1woody1
_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kivio_1.2.0-1woody1_i
386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kontour_1.2.0-1woody1
_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kformula_1.2.0-1woody
1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kchart_1.2.0-1woody1_
i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/koffice-libs_1.2.0-1w
oody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/kword_1.2.0-1woody1_i
386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/ktimer_3.0.3-1woody1
_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdepim/knotes_3.0.3-1woody1_i
386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/kjots_3.0.3-1woody1_
i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/khexedit_3.0.3-1wood
y1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kfind_3.0.3-1woody1_i
386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/kdf_3.0.3-1woody1_i3
86.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/kdepasswd_3.0.3-1woo
dy1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/kcharselect_3.0.3-1w
oody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/kcalc_3.0.3-1woody1_
i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdepim/karm_3.0.3-1woody1_i38
6.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/ark_3.0.3-1woody1_i3
86.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdeutils/kedit_3.
0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kruler_3.0.3-1woo
dy1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/ksnapshot_3.0.3-1
woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kfract_3.0.3-1woo
dy1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kiconedit_3.0.3-1
woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kpaint_3.0.3-1woo
dy1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kghostview_3.0.3-
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kcoloredit_3.0.3-
1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdegraphics/kview_3.0.3-1wood
y1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kdm_3.0.3-1woody1_i38
6.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kscreensaver_3.0.3-1w
oody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/konsole_3.0.3-1woody1
_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kate_3.0.3-1woody1_i3
86.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/konqueror_3.0.3-1wood
y1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdepim/libkcal2_3.0.3-1woody1
_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdepim/kalarmd_3.0.3-1woody1_
i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdepim/libkgantt0_3.0.3-1wood
y1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./arts/libarts1_1.0.3-1woody1_i
386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./arts/libarts1-qt_1.0.3-1woody
1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/libkonq4_
3.0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdelibs/kdelibs-b
in_3.0.3-1woody2_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdelibs/kdelibs-d
ata_3.0.3-1woody2_all.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdelibs/kdelibs4_
3.0.3-1woody2_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kaddressb
ook_3.0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kappfinde
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/karbon_1.
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kcontrol_
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kdcop_3.0
.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kdebase-b
in_3.0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kdebugdia
log_3.0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kdeprint_
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kdesktop_
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/khelpcent
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/khotkeys_
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kicker_3.
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kioslave_
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/klipper_3
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./kdebase/kmenuedit
_3.0.3-1woody1_i386.deb  Size mismatch
Failed to fetch
http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/./koffice/koffice_1
.2.0-1woody1_all.deb  Size mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-mis
sing?

Excuse the length of copied text, but I felt it better and wiser to display
everything.  I checked this also:

maxus:/home/maxus# dpkg -l kde
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version                       Description
+++-=============================-=============================-============
ii  kde                           2.2.25                        The K
Desktop Environment

So obviously it hasn't worked.  I'm not sure what is wrong.  I'm not sure to
do what apt suggests to do as i'm not 100% totally familiar with it.  That
doesn't mean I have some idea of what it does, or haven't looked at and read
the relevant parts of the man page for it.  I can only think that I've
missed a step somewhere.  Anyone got any suggestions (and please don't tell
me to go use redhat, mandrake or microsoft thanks).

For those that want to have a go at me and call me stupid etc, i've managed
to install other things fine (including applications from src code).  I'm
using a 'clean' debian install as well.  I'm just very tired, very angry and
very frustrated and wanting some help to get it all running.

Dave