Re: To CVS experts

On Sunday 22 September 2002 8:53 am, Paolo Ulivi wrote:

> Sorry, I explain better:  I am already working on the cvs sources for my
> Woody box, I just want to import them in my local repository in the same
> form as they are at kde.org so I can browse in the code as from a mirror.
> Surely, I will lose history, but I am using a modem here, so I am trying
> to reduce bandwidth usage as much as possible.
>
> I would like to create a tag named KDE_3_0_3_RELEASE importing the
> original code and having it under the menu "-Non-branch tags-", then
> create a branch from that called KDE_3_0_BRANCH under the menu
> "-Branches-" and continue the import and the work from there.

I not sure I understand this last bit, but I am planning on something similar.

I have set up a repository on a local server - downloaded the tar cvs snapshot
of yesterday and expanded it into a directory.  I then used the cvs import
command to put it into the local repository (using the VENDOR and BRANCH tags
as explained in the cvs manual). I then checkout from the local repository
and work on my changes. (and presumable I could use viewCVS on the local
repository - although I am not planning that yet).

I can "synchronise" with the public cvs every so often by repeating the cvs
import trick and using the cvs co -j command (I haven't done this, but read
all about doing this in chapter 13 of the cvs manual).

> It's probably a stupid thing, and the kind of message that will never
> receive any feedback from this list, but I decided to try anyway.

I am not sure you are trying to do what I am - I want to be able to develop
code around the base but from two machines (home desktop when at home, laptop
when away on business) and keep potential updates in sync.  By creating the
local repository with :pserver: access I can access it from either place and
to a certain extent cross synchronise between the two.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk