Re: kde programs and environment

On Thursday 05 September 2002 12:42 pm, Dirk Gajewski wrote:
> How do I forward environment variables to kde program?
> I am using ktexmaker2 and it does not see my TEXINPUTS
> environment variable when I click a TeX file. When I start
> ktexmaker2 from a shell it is fine but then I have to use the
> open button to get to the file. Direct clicking is more convenient.
>
> Any ideas?
> Dirk

I have sometimes had peculiar experiences like this, where an environment
variable does not seem to be set outside of a terminal.

I'm assuming you're using bash, if not, this probably won't help:

Try "echo $TEXINPUTS" from a shell outside of X, I expect you will find it
does not give any output. I think the difference is when you start a shell
inside X it runs ~/.bashrc to set environment variables, whereas in the login
shell it runs ~/.bash_profile - and environment variables inside X are the
same as they are set from the shell X is started from.

In shorts, try putting your "export TEXINPUTS=..." line into .bash_profile in
your home directory (create it if it doesn't exist). Putting it in
/etc/profile should have the same effect but set it for all users.

Regards
James