Give a try to IceWM is good looking, *very* fast and user frendly. It
was usable in my old 486 with 24 RAM box
Any way KDE rocks!
Frank Van Damme wrote:
Just put my hd (maxtor 40 gigs 5400 rpm for therecord - that's also the one I
swap to) into a p133 (48 MB ram) because my athlon cpu burnt. I just couldn't
believe my eyes. I thought kde got faster with 3.0, at least that's what the
kde guys promised us. Some stats, taken on my system running enlightenment
0.16, xfree86 4.2 and a minimum of background tasks like cups and 2 Eterms:
- opening a "new message" window in kmail: 10 seconds
- starting konqueror: about 5 minutes
- starting kmail: must be over 2 minutes.
- selecting an other message in this mailing list (800 messages): about 2 secs
- scrolling through theheader pane: an estimated 3 fps
- starting the stupidest program on earth, ksnapshot: 25 secs
- average cpu usage reading emails: 80%.
- megs of swap mem used: 50.
Just *unbearable*. I have yet to start thinking about what running a fullblown
kde session on this box will do. I remember having 7 apps like kword, xmms,
kmail,... open at the same time and still enjoying it. Ok kmail was never
fast but can anyone recommend me a good DE or compiler please :-)
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact email@example.com
- From: Frank Van Damme <firstname.lastname@example.org>