Re: KDE 3.1

tisdagen den 16 juli 2002 12.37 skrev David Pashley:

> But kde 3.1 packages are mostly buildable from CVS if you have the time
> to fix the added, moved or removed files.

It is mostly not buildable into debian packages. And I think it is the debian
packages which is the very good thing with debian. You can as easily add
packages, as you can remove, and which file belongs to what is taken care of
automatically. Otherwise you system tend to get full of orphan files after a
while. A system can also be mostly reproduced by reinstalling all the same
packages.

If new builds are just appended to the kde binary tree, after a while you get
a lot of files that does not belong to anywhere, and they screw up kde.
If you reinstall kde completely everytime, your build environment can't be
kde. So debian packages is the solution on how you can rebuild KDE on your
working system, and it works beautifully.

It is really not hard to keep track on the added, moved or removed files. Most
is handled automatically, and require manual work only when something really
new has happened. And such situation might need investigation anyway.

The hard part is not packaging, but finding the specific debian problems and
patches. I don't even try to do that.

-- Karolina