Fonts

Is there any way other that Control Center for selecting KDE fonts?

I have XF86 using TT fonts.  KDE seems to automatically default to using
the first font as the default.  In my case, this is a symbolic font.
Opening KDE gives a destop where everything is displayed as gibberish.
I'm able to open CC, and change the fonts (which isn't easy when you
can't read any of the menus.)  However, even after doing so, not
everything is fixed.  On my laptop, the text under desktop icons look
like a series of squared-off, underlined 'U's. The Lt. Skat card game
still uses a non-readable font.  And Konsole is entirely hosed.
Regardless of which font I select, spacing between words and letters is
way off, clearing the screen leaves garbage all over it, etc.

Are these known problems?  Are there any known fixes?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.