Gaah! KDE madness!

	So I decided to throw caution to the wind and install the KDE3 debs.
Unfortunately, two Very Bad Things are now plague me. One, I can only use
kppp as root. It says that it cannot open the modem when I try as a normal
user. I confirmed that I am in the dialout group, and it works fine with
root--I'm sending this, obviously. The second thing is that the fonts are all
hopelessly foobar. In an ironic twist, some (but not all) of the TrueType
fonts work (namely, Arial and Times New Roman), but all the other fonts,
including the fixed-width fonts, all default to an illegible cursive font.
I've tried using different font servers, or no font server, but keep getting
that wretched cursive font.
	Mind you, I did not purge any of the previous settings; I'm at a loss as to
why its behaving this way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        :Peter