KMail folder-index troubles

KMail is acting very strangely on the moment. Yesterday it kept crashing
on one of my mail folder, so I decided to delete the index file. But now
it refuses to rebuild the index-file.

In the mean time I delted all my index files, to see if that would
actually force KMail to rebuild, but then it starts, does not give
any output for a while and exists. Some folders are indexed correctly,
and some aren't. It only creates indices of 33 bytes.

When receiving a message for a folder which KMail thinks does not
contain any messages it crashes after trying to select it. However,
the mailboxes themselves are unaffected.

When using mutt i am able to open the mail folders and I don't see
any corruption.

Berteun Damman