Re: Building KDE 3.0 on Woody: Making sure it doesn't hose things.

On Monday 08 Apr 2002 6:39 pm, Doug Holland wrote:
> What things, aside from building to /usr/local/kde instead of /usr, should
> I do to make sure KDE 3.0 doesn't screw up my nicely apt-consistent Debian
> system?  (I'm running Woody, with apt-get set to download unstable
> packages. So far, I don't have any major problems.)

There's a nice little howto here:

http://women.kde.org/projects/coding/kde2+3.html

Obviously you can ignore the parts about CVS if you have downloaded the
tarballs. You will also want to use the "--enable-final --disable-debug"
options when configuring KDE packages, and maybe "--enable-fast-malloc=full"
with kdelibs.

I've found that putting a bash script in /usr/local/bin is useful for allowing
KDE2's KDM to start KDE3:

#!/bin/sh
# /usr/local/bin/kde3
export KDEHOME=~/.kde3
export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde3
export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
exec /usr/local/kde3/bin/startkde

You can then use KDE2's control centre to add a "kde3" session. You will need
to put "no-generate-sessiontypes" in /etc/kde2/kdm/kdm.options to stop KDM
from deleting your session type when it searches for new window-managers.

This may not be the "Debian Way", but I've only touched /usr/local so it is
easy to remove. :)

--
Daniel Rees
e: dan@dwrees.co.uk