Building KDE 3.0 on Woody: Making sure it doesn't hose things.

I've just switched from Red Hat 7.2 to Debian Woody.  I found the
installation to be a bit tricky, but now that it's up, I find it to be very
nice, especially because of the apt packaging.  I'm very reluctant to spoil a
good thing, but I want KDE 3.0, and .deb packages are not yet available.  I
have the source tarballs, and I'm considering building them, with the target
being /usr/local/kde in an effort to avoid stepping on files in the regular
distribution, including KDE 2.2.2.

What things, aside from building to /usr/local/kde instead of /usr, should I
do to make sure KDE 3.0 doesn't screw up my nicely apt-consistent Debian
system?  (I'm running Woody, with apt-get set to download unstable packages.
So far, I don't have any major problems.)