Re: Compiling KDE 2.1 on Potato

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:46:47AM +0100, Paolo Ulivi wrote:
> I recompiled the whole suite of KDE 2.1 on a Potato system, just
> to add K6 optimizations (I must be crazy...) for a low-end machine.

Score -10 from the start. Use 2.2 packages, I suggest.

> I used the standard (so I think) commands:
>
>     dpkg-source -x ...
> 	dpkg-buildpackage -b -us -uc
>
> And installed them all with dpkg -i.
>
> But now all that packages are marked to be upgraded, I must put them
> on (H)old with dselect or apt-get will try to replace them with the
> original debs any time I use it.  What am I missing off ?

Since KDE has an epoch, you must version it as 4:2.1.x-y. You also have
to edit debian/rules to enable the optimizations.

Cheers!
:) d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<Joy> hmm, someone remind me, what's the English term for startup lag?