Kspread issues

Firstly, how do you stop kspread and other koffice programs from creating
backup files?  My father doesn't like having lots of .ksp~ files appearing in
his directories.  He says that he always saves when he has something
important so he gains nothing from this, it just wasts his (my) disk space
and he wants to turn it off.

Next how do you change the settings for a new kspread sheet?  My father
doesn't like the font size and wants new documents to be created with a
different size.