Re: kdm / xdm dying

Hello:

I don't think this is a Debian problem. The reason is, early this morning,
during graveyard shift, the same thing happened here.  There were only three X
terminal PC's logged in at the time. By chance, all three happened to be running
Slackware, rather than Debian, and as it happens, the server they were logged
into is running Slackware.

Two of the machines logged their users out about 5 minutes apart.  When I got to
work I checked their bios clocks and they have drifted about 5 minutes from each
other.  The third machine did not logout it's user.

The two machines that did exhibit the weird behavior are running Slackware 4.0
and 7.1 and both have 2.2.x series kernels.  The Slackware 4.0 box is a 486 DX
and the Slackware 7.1 machine is a P75.

The third X terminal machine, which did not logout it's user, is running
Slackware 3.6 and a 2.0.X series kernel.

Unfortunately, nobody was logged in on any of the X terminals configured with
Debian, bui I'm tempted to speculate that this is a kernel related phenomenon.

Later,

Colin Mattoon