Re: Problem Building 2.1.1 on Potato

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:50:20 -0500, tomcw@adelphia.net wrote:

>I am trying to get KDE to run on Potato.  First I tried downloading 2.2.2 and
>the latest version of Qt 2.x.  This gave me problems while compiling though.
>So after searching around the web, I found the binary packages available at
>kde.debian.net.  I installed them, and they worked just fine, except the
>kmail would not start up, and when trying to start Konqueror, I got the
>following error:
>
>There was an error loading the module About-Page for Konqueror.
>The diagnostics is:
>/usr//lib/libkssl.so.2: undefined symbol: polish__7KDialog

I thought I'd seen this reported before here, so I searched the list
archive and there are several such reports, several from John Gay, who
says in one of his postings he believes this is due to a package
version clash - between KDE 2.1.x and KDE 2.2.x I guess.  He talks of
a wrong version of kdelibs3.

So I suppose you have some debris left over from your abortive attempt
to install KDE 2.2.2.  Try purging everything to do with KDE and
starting again with KDE 2.1.1 ?

BTW, the standard wisdom is that you *can't* run 2.2.2 on Potato - it
just won't work.

Cheers,
Nick
Bristol, UK
--
Petreley's First Law of Computer Journalism:
No technology exists until Microsoft invents it.