Re: KDE Packagers - What's the plan/roadmap/future & timescale?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:52:47PM -0800, tluxt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this request implies you must recapitulate anything,
> but after considering the alternatives, this seemed the better option.
>
> I know there was a scramble to take on packages & quickly find a solution
> to the image/icon problem when Ivan released the packages he was maintaining.
>
> Now that that issue seems to be largely past, I would
> appreciate it if you both would take a moment and answer a few questions,
> involving things such as:
>
> 1) Who you are, what you do in real life, how you got involved in Debian,
> and involved in KDE, what (if anything) you packaged in Debian before this,
> what (if anything) you did in KDE before this, why & how you came to the
> decision to take on maintainership of the KDE packages.

I have been a Debian user since around Aug 1998, and have been a
maintainer since July 2000 (I was stuck in the closed NM queue for a
while).  I currently have 19 source packages, 18 of which are not KDE
related.  Once I upload the all of the KDE packages I think I will have
around 42.  I decided to maintain the KDE packages because I use it
every day and didn't want to see the packages deteriorate.

> 2) What do you see as the time frame for upcomming Debian/KDE milestones?
> Such as:
>
> A) What is the plan/roadmap/future for KDE related things in Debian?
> the metapackage (or, what is it called now?  Task?) of kde vs of kdebase.

My plan is to examine all of KDE 2.2.2, which I am currently doing. Then
I will upload a final set of packages so that they can make it into
Woody.  Then I will start preparing KDE 3 debs and will host them on
p.d.o/~ccheney/ until KDE 3 is released or Woody is frozen whichever
happens first.

> B) What's up w/ KOffice for Debian?  Re: Woody or Sid?

I don't know anything about KOffice.

> C) What's your recommendation regarding: would you advise people who want
> to be making productive use of KDE now to run Woody or Sid?

Well I thought that fixed KDE 2.2.2 would be in woody by now but it
appears that m68k is holding up kdebase for a build deps (seems odd).  I
will try to get it in as soon as possible though.  Sid should be fine if
you want to run that.

> D) What's up w/ KDE 3? - When, and for whom, should persons trying to make
> actual daily use of KDE begin to use KDE3?  Can KDE2 & KDE3 be put onto
> the same system, and switched between?  Is it necessary to do a complete
> separate Debian install, (one for KDE2 & one for KDE3) on the harddisk
> if one wants to be able to try switch between 2 & 3?

KDE 3 is still a bit buggy from what I hear, I haven't actually built
debs for it yet since I am still working on the 2.2.2.  I would imagine
that I will have good working debs by the time it is officially released
(hopefully sooner).  KDE2 and KDE3 can not be installed at the same time
without some work, and I will not be supporting both of them being
installed at the same time.  I am not going to have both in the archive
at the same time since it would take an enormous amount of space, if I
remember correctly someone said KDE currently takes approximately 2.5GB
of archive space now (between all the archs and woody/sid).

> I ask these questions since I'd like to make some judgements about what to
> put in the KDE HowTo I'm developing.  For instance, I'd like to have good
> data to base a decision on regarding: should I suggest, (and write it from
> the perspective of) persons run Woody, and if necessary pull packages from
> Sid?  Or, is & will Sid be basically enough free of substantial problems
> that it would be better for most people trying to do productive work with
> KDE that they run Sid, in order to have the latest features?

currently you probably still need to run Sid, but hopefully this
situation will change soon.

> (For instance, two areas I'm currently possibly affected by are:
> 1) Kghostview - does the Sid version fix a major problem?

I hope to address this issue in my next upload.

> 2) kde vs kdebase - does Sid have a kde package that provides
> many more features (& thus involves much less sw installation time/effort)
> than Woody?)

sid has the KDE meta packages which I don't think are in woody yet? The
meta packages make it much easier to install KDE.