KDE3(beta) as unofficial add-on?

Hello,

I have read the discussion about using /opt with some
amusement, my opinion is like tha majority: Stay
away from /opt for official debian packages. But:

To have a simple solution for testing kde3 beta besides kde2
wouldn't it be good to provide "unofficial" debs for kde3
as long as this is called beta upstream. These unofficial
packages are not part of debian and can use /opt !
This way it should be possible to have both at the same time.
When kde3 matures the packages become official and replace
the kde2 packages under/usr (if this isnt too much work changing
the prefix in all relevant packages?)

Just my 2 cent,

Olaf