Re: Fwd: Re: Printing in KDE - How best to - Konq, inkjet

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 11:07:24AM -0700, David Bishop wrote:

> Yes, the browser method and the KDE/control-panel are alternative ways of
> configuring cups. I did the setup for all printers I use only with the
> tools under the KDE-control-panel. Everything you need is the root
> password to "commit" the changes to the printer driver setup you made.

Hi,

actually you don't need the root password. You need the password of a
person with write permissions in /etc/cups, OR of a member of the 'lpadmin'
group.

> I was very pleased by the KDE-printer-setup, I can hardly think of easier
> ways to setup a printing system.... BTW: I didn't touch any cups.config
> files by hand at all!

Yes. CUPS rocks. I set it up in my local school for about 40 clients (run
SuSE 7.3 and Win98), I told SuSE to use 'xp' (that's the print servers
hostname ;) as CUPS server and *BONG* all printers were there. No local
drivers. No installation, nothing. (Win98 had to have local drivers but saw
them all via Samba as well. No problems.)

--
mfg, Jens Benecke
http://www.jensbenecke.de/ - Persönliches

Politics is like a septic tank - all the big shits float to the top.