Re: quick question (shot in the dark)

John Magrini <magrini@optonline.net> wrote:

im not sure if kde can do anything about this, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
i have already asked on the Xfree mailing lists and the advice they gave me was that the driver needs to be coded better.
situation:
im using a KVM to switch between debian and windows, im running sid with the latest kde 2.X. my mouse is the micro$oft intellimouse explorer, X is setup fine using the correct /dev/ device and the right protocal. buttons are setup fine.
problem:
when i switch back to my debian box, my mouse movements are all scrambled, the mouse driver basically eats it. the fix is to switch to a console and then back again, i suppose this resets the driver. Now, can KDE reset the driver at all, or is this compleatly X and kde has no power to do this. this is just a frustrating problem, not vital but if someone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated. as a sidenote, when i switch to my win2k box, i get a sharp: 10-15 lines scrolldown, then everything is fine. i suppose it resets itself after that. just a shot in the dark to see if kde can control this, thanks
John

I don't think this is a "specific" KDE problem, nor does it have a solution. However, here are some ideas for you to consider.

1. Are you using GPM for the mouse driver in X? Your symptoms sound suspiciously like the message I get whenever the GPM program is re-started during an upgrade. If you are NOT, then try using it. If you are using it, try going directly to the device (psaux, ttyS0, etc). I am using GPM with a Microsoft Wheelmouse (Intellimouse) w/ "Intellieye" thorugh a USB port at the moment.

2. Are the computers networked? If so, you can use the VNC programs to connect your Linux box to the Winders box. You would need to install a VNC "server" on the Windows box and the vncviewer on your Linux box. I have done this here and it is like having a remote X terminal. You login and the Windows screen comes up on your Linux box and you can run all the Windows programs remotely. This would avoid having to use the KVM switch. You can read more about VNC at: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-