Re: Interpreting FHS

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:05:00 -0600 Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:40:26PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Call me crazy, but I've always thought that soft symlinks could be great here:
> > - Put each package in it's own subdir under, say, /pkg.
> > - Next, put symlinks into /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /etc, ad nauseum, in order to follow the Debian Policy.
> >
> > This way, you could have /pkg/qt2, /pkg/qt3, /pkg/kde2, etc...  Maybe it's the DOS mentality of 1 subdir per program, but I think this makes things very organized.
> >
> > What's this about only 8500 sub-dirs in /usr?
>
> The way he wrote the email/diagram he was putting each package under
> /usr/packagename.

True, but putting the packages directly under /usr is so "flat",
and makes it impossible to put them on another partition.  Maybe
/usr/packages would be a better place, to (a) keep it under /usr,
and (b) be able to mount it in a different partition.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org       |
! "Millions of Chinese speak Chinese, and it's not           |
!  hereditary..."                                            |
!    Dr. Dean Edell                                          !