Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 14:09, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> > You say that like it's a good thing. Mosfet's on drugs.
> It just happens that piece by Mosfet is well written.
> Although I cant see how putting kde in /opt/kde would be more logical.. If
> anywhere, I would put it in /usr/kde. Like X it is a system on its own, "A
> system within the system".

We call that a "subsystem" in engineering. Heh :)

Generally speaking, it's good design if a system can have physical modularity
to some extent, ie logical modularity is evident in the case of X11 but
physical modularity makes it more sensible to deal with.

Therefore, a system that uses an efficient unified filesystem implementation
instead of a packaging system to keep track of file locations would be much
more consistent than Debian.[*] I'm hoping to see something like that with
the use of more advanced kernels.

[*] So every package looks like X11. Packaging system's responsibility is
making sure that the system is consistent and in a working state rather than
showing you which file is stored where...

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)