Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 11:07 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:20:08PM +0100, Jens Benecke wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:15:21PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > Like I've told you before, KDE3 is not my department. The
> > > extent of my KDE3 influence is talking to Chris on IRC;
> > > something I suggest you do if you want to become involved
> > > in KDE3 packaging.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > actually, why doesn't Debian go the /opt/kde3 or /usr/kde3
> > way, like other distributions? E.g. SuSE has had absolutely
> > no problems providing KDE3 beta RPMs for all users which
> > don't interfere with the KDE2 setup at all, because they use
> > /opt/kde{2,3} and ~/.kde2, ~/.kde3 subdirs etc..
> >
> > The only argument from Debian people I've heard so far is
> > that it is 'evil'.
>
> And HEINOUSLY violates that little "policy" thing of ours that
> no-one cares about. You put your own stuff in /opt/kde[23],
> that's what it's for - your *own* stuff. For packagers, it's
> another /usr/local - touch and burn. Also, in general, putting
> random subdirs under /usr is exceedingly bad practice, and it
> also violates that little policy thing. (Bear in mind that the
> FHS is also policy).

The Debian policy is violated, in principle anyhow,
by the whole X-windows system.  It DOES have its own special
subdirectories.  The reason is that it is so large and
complicated that good sense demands putting it in a special
place to make it easier to keep track of it.  The real question
is whether kde and gnome have now reached that status.  I think
they have.  For one thing, people who use both kde and gnome
experience trouble knowing which app or which library or shared
file belongs to which. It would be VERY helpful, and quite
rational, for Debian to follow, or even one-up, the other dists
and treat BOTH of those two mega-systems specially.

Does the Debian policy ever change?

--
Oliver Johns <ojohns@metacosmos.org>
San Francisco, California USA