Re: libqt2 libpng2 resolution

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 06:56:48AM +0000, John Gay wrote:
(sorry for the delay; this message was lost in the mists of time).
> So, if I understand you correctly, you are going to revert qt back to the
> old libpng2 rather than keep it at the new one, which Daniel is planning to
> re-compile the rest of kde to?

Yes, correct.

> This is just a temperary measure to fix the current majorly broken state of
> KDE for the moment, right?
>
>  Are you and Daniel planning to re-compile everything against the new
> libpng and upload it in one go afterwards to reduce the headaches for those
> of us tracking unstable and testing together?

No. libqt2 will never be built against libpng3 as this breaks partial
upgrades and such. libqt3, however, will be built against libpng3.

> At the moment, I've only got problems with kmail missing icons. konq has
> its icon, unless I start it from the command line and I'm missing the KDE
> splash screen when I log in. I have not checked the likes of kdevelop,
> quata's+ or most of the rest of kde, because I haven't had much time and
> ignorance is bliss : ).

Now, kde{admin,graphics,network,pim,ssh,utils} should be fine, kdelibs
is installed, kdebase has been uploaded, and kdemultimedia will go in
later.

> I haven't done an update in a while, but I'm running testing with kde from
> unstable, as that was more stable than testing. I'm just waiting until this
> blows over and I can upgrade to a properly working kde. I've heard mixed
> reports of some fixes but other breakages so I'm sitting on my hands to
> keep from upgrading. Once I hear that the unstable kde is in good working
> order again, I'll upgrade.

I suggest you wait about 4 days from now, until we've fully sorted it
out.

> Thanks for picking up the pieces after Ivan had to drop kde. Several of us
> were afraid we would have to wait through another version of Debian before
> seeing kde in a stable branch.

No worries. As a KDE user, and someone who is trying to push KDE+Debian
at work as a replacement for GNOME+Old RedHat (by necessity), I have
some sort of vested interest, too. ;)

:) d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<lamont> aj: it would seem that the lawyer in question doesn't work