Re: KDM - Some minor buggies

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 at 12:47 am, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > 1) When KDM is started upon boot, the keyboard is frozen for entry
> > of password.
>
> but entering the user name works?

No. I do get the user name into the name field by clicking on a
user-id icon.

> > 2)  I am unable to invoke other window managers from the KDM
> > window. Whenever I try to invoke afterstep or sawfish or fvwm KDE
> > always starts.

> but you have them installed, yes? :)
> kde is probably the default session, so it is used as a fallback if
> the other wm cannot be started. do the session names match the binary
> names?

Yes they are installed and testing from a xterm prompt, they
(afterstep, pawm, fvwm, wmaker) all tell me nicely and correctly
that another windowmanager (kde) is running.

Some additional info:
1) I have modified /etc/kde2/kdm/Xsession to include
      xscreensaver-command -exit
      xscreensaver -no-splash -silent &
to enable xscreensaver when the KDM login screen is displayed.
The kdm frozen keyboard and chooser problem do NOT go away
when I remove the xscreensaver commands from Xsession.

2) When kdm failed on me (recently) I used startx and kdm started
 - the kdm keyboard was NOT frozen.

3)  I may have "shot myself in my foot" 6 months ago, I
lost access to Woody and kdm and to get kdm back, I removed
gdm, gnome and kdm and then apt-got kdm.   It was a "horror"
and I realize there are folks working to resolve that kdm/gdm
conflict, but I may have made a pragmatic change to get kde
working - that's the default that's appearing.

4) This is minor -  KDE  and Woody are my operational systems.
If I want to execute pawm, afterstep, wmaker ... I can alway
start up Mandrake where the kdm chooser is working.
Michael Hoodes         http://www.hoodes.com            Seattle, WA