Panel dies after X/KDE upgrade

Hello, all.

Today, I resolved to fix the GTK font issue that has been plaguing my
install of dia for about a month...  After trying various workarounds as
suggested by various sources (none of which solved the problem,) I decided
to try to upgrade from XFree86 4.0.3 to 4.1.0.

Miraculously, this solved my dia problem.  Unfortunately, my kpanel now dies
(twice) upon startup.  The panel begins painting itself during the initial
startup, disappears, tries to paint itself again during the app restoration
stage, and dies again.  This, of course, does not necessarily have anything
to do with my upgrading X, but that was the major preceding event to the
current symptom.

What is the manual command to start a panel from an xterm?  The 'kpanel'
binary does not appear to exist on my filesystem (or at least the locate db
has missed it...)  Where should I look for error reports?  I didn't see
anything promising in syslog, kdm.log or messages.  Basically, how do i go
about diagnosing and fixing this problem?

My stats:

Debian (mainly) Woody
Kernel 2.4.12
kdebase 2.2.1.0-6