Re: Fwd: KMail and Debian packages

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:37:28PM +0100, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> See my next mail on more thoughts about this.

> Subject: KMail and Debian packages
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:04:19 +0100
> From: Michael Häckel <haeckel@kde.org>
> To: "Ivan E. Moore II" <rkrusty@debian.org>
> Cc: kmail@kde.org
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> We (the KMail team) receive here daily about two bug reports from
>  people that use KMail 1.2 which came with KDE 2.1 on KDE 2.2 and
>  that doesn't work properly.
> Of course in theory that should work, but in reality there are some
>  problems.
>
> I have heard, that there exists a policy, that packages have to
>  remain 10 days in unstable, until they can go to testing. Therefore
>  this results in people using KMail 1.2 on KDE 2.2.
>
> If it is really not possible to change that, wouldn't it then be
>  better to leave the whole KDE release in unstable until all packages
>  are ready for testing?
>
> At least the current policy spreads bad light on the KMail developers
>  although it is not KMail that is broken, but this policy.

testing is testing and that's that.  If people want something that is
stable and functional they should use stable or unstable.  I support
those 2 distributions.  testing is not meant to be functional at all.  It
is meant as a staging ground for our next release.  By putting in hacks
to make sure things do work in testing would only lead to other problems and
the possiblity of KDE never making it to a stable release of Debian.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II