kdm is dead

I upgraded kdm a week or so ago, and Konqueror finally
killed X yesterday.  Kdm comes up, but I don't get a
background, and the user list is filled with all the
users in the system.  eww (but I've already seen some
posts earlier this month on how to fix that).  Anyhow, I
try to login, and get a message saying something like
'couldn't find /usr/X11R6/lib/kdm/Xsession' and what do
you know, there is no /usr/X11R6/lib/kdm directory.  So
figuring something was hosed, I killed kdm, and tried
to use /etc/init.d/kdm start.  I get the 'Starting kdm:
Done' message, but now it doesn't start at all.  I do a
dpkg --purge kdm, and reinstall, but it still won't
start.  Typing kdm from a console prompt doesn't do it
either.  ps -A | grep kdm doesn't show anything.  So now
I'm kinda stuck.  Anyone care to lend a hand?

Thanks,
.Geoff

Protect yourself from spam, use http://sneakemail.com