kde-devel broke my X?

I updated kdevelop to 2.0 and was very impressed. I needed to install the
kdelibs source before the configure routine would finish but then I got a
very impressive kdevelop and was able to check the progress of my small
project.

I thought I'd have a go at playing around with a KDE app, so I tried to
create a new project, but after creating all the files the configure
routine said that I was missing qtlib2.2.2, so I used apt-get to install
the missing qt libs. Now configure complained I was missing some KDE
headers. I installed kde-devel, but this broke most of the rest of kde.
Figuring that a re-boot would sort out the lib issues, I found that I could
no longer log into KDE with gdm. I kept getting errors about a missing dcop
file and to make sure the dcopserver was running. After several attempts to
find out why the dcopserver was not starting again (Manually starting
dcopserver didn't work) now I can not even get X to start. I finally tried
a full apt-get dist-upgrade with testing set to 1001 in my preferences, but
even this failed to fix X.

Obviously I've got soem serious problems with libs on my system again, but
I really want to avoid a complete re-install as the latest CD I've got is
Progeny and takes about 5 days to download the updates to testing before I
can re-install KDE again.

Could someone please send me a list of the valid libs needed for testing
KDE so I can find which ones need removing?

I can log in as myself or as root to the terminal, but startkde can not
connect to the display. startx give a KDE-like pop-up warning that a dcop
file is missing and to be sure the dcopserver is running.

I can start the dcopserver manually, after setting DISPLAY=:0 but the
startx only gives the blank screen with an X for a mouse and never gets
past this.

I guess I should learn to leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

     John Gay