Re: Updating from woody to KDE 2.2.1 <again>

Ivan, Thank you for replying so quickly and so clearly. In return, I
owe it to you to be prompt with an apology. I know nothing about
packaging and if I believed that it was packaging which was behind
the problem that I reported, I should have raised it with you in a
private e-mail, not in a public message. That was a faux pas on my
part. Sorry.

Having set aside packaging as the problem, may I seek your views
or those of others reading this on what the problem might be? I ask
because the problem appears to be reproducible. There was a post
on the Libranet list a week or two ago by another user who reported
the same symptoms.

In my case, I had installed Libranet v1.9.1 only hours before trying
to install KDE 2.2.1. To the best of my recall, I had done nothing
on the system except a series of apt-get update, apt-get upgrade,
apt-get dist-upgrade (from potato to woody).

What I had done yesterday was to install KDE2.1.1 and a number
of other ``application groups" from the Libranet CD-ROM. Today, I
decided that a sounder approach would be to reinstall, but this time
to do the smallest minimal install provided under Libranet, upgrade
to Woody and then install KDE 2.2.1 into a system where no
previous version of KDE had been installed before.

Do you believe that the problem which the other user and I had had
might be the result of Libranet's implementation? The Libranet
developers watch their mailing list closely; if that is your view, they
will almost certainly want to know.

Once again, sorry for the attack of ``foot-in-mouth" disease.

Bruce