New to Debian & KDE - upgrade to 2.2.1

So I recently installed Progeny, and installed their
KDE. Then KDE 2.2 came out, so I managed to uninstall
their KDE and install the KDE from unstable (with the
apt sources, etc.). apt seems to be as cool as
everyone says. Now, I want to upgrade to 2.2.1, and
this is a totally newbie question:  What's the apt
command? install or update? I'm nervous about update,
so I figured I'd ask here. I didn't see it anywhere
else.

Also, why is it that the Debian apps (games, etc) are
in "Debian" sub-menus? I'd prefer they weren't, but I
don't know the ins-n-outs of Debain menu-policy
(obviously).

Thanks,

Frank