Re: Antialiased font problem

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 02:59:44AM +0300, Jarno Elonen wrote:

> > Whenever I run xftcache (or anyone else runs, e.g. upgraded font
> > packages), it simply spits out a "Segmentation fault".

> Everything's fine without antialiasing, but once it's been enabled, login
> sequence never gets beyond the jingle. Mouse pointer moves ok, but icons
> or desktop image never appear; CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE is the only option.

After logging in, quickly switch to a console that has a 'top' running with
-d1 -i. (1 second delay, no inactive processes). If there are lots (>3) of
'kdeinit's fighting for CPU useage (about 20-25% each), strace one of them
in another console.  If it crashes, and the others keep crashing as well,
then you might have my (former) problem:

	Do you by any chance have the fonts 'pala*.ttf' somewhere in your
	Xft directories? If so, kill them. They crash every other Freetype
	version.

Please tell me if that was it. If it wasn't, remove one of your .ttf
directories and restart, keep going until you find the bad font, and tell
us. That's what I did. ;)

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

MSTD, n: MicroSoft Transmitted Disease. Propagates only due to Microsoft's
insistence on distributing [software] that resembles Petri dishes.
See also ILOVEYOU, Melissa, Code Red, Sircam, IIS.
                     -- http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=MSTD