Re: Shared libs, moduledir

On Thursday August 02 2001 11:24, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm somewhat confused by all the places where shared libs (can) go. The
> KDE debs put some (all? or only "modules"?) shared libs in
> /usr/lib/kde2. KDE tarballs and projects created with KDevelop to put
> them in /usr/local/lib/kde2.
>
> My /etc/ld.so.conf contains neither /usr/lib/kde2 nor
> /usr/local/lib/kde2, but the libs in the former directory are found
> nevertheless. Libs in the later directory aren't found, even after I
> added it to /etc/ld.so.conf (and ran ldconfig).
>
> I'm somewhat confused, I must admit. Apparently, my understanding of
> dynamic linking, among other things, is lacking. :-(
>
> Michael

Well, yes, it is confusing. I'd like to point you to
man ldconfig

Hopefully, that will resolve matters a bit as far as /etc/ld.so.conf goes. As
far as I can tell, debian doesn't use /usr/local/lib very much. One of things
that might help in explaining matters is checking on the file permissions.
For e.g.,

01:13pm  x@y  /home
678 $ ls -ld /usr/lib/
drwxr-xr-x   84 root     root        36864 Jul 30 14:27 /usr/lib/
01:14pm  x@y  /home
679 $ ls -ld /usr/local/lib/
drwxrwsr-x    6 root     staff        4096 Jun 13 14:07 /usr/local/lib/

HTH,
Andy