Re: Howto auto-enable artsd

Achim Bohnet wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 July 2001 21:01, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm using the latest KDE2.2 beta from unstable.  I've mentioned before
> > that some kcontrol modules stopped working among them the arts module
>
> Do you use ALSA, OSS, what driver, what graphics card?  Any error msg
> from kcmshell arts, etc, etc?

The only error message I get is not helpful: "There was an error loading
the module. The diagnostics is:"

No diagnostics given.  By the way, this started with an unstable
upgrade, about four weeks ago, back then still KDE 2.1.1.  I had no
hardware changes nor did I change the kernel at that time.  It just
stopped working silently.  After the upgrade to KDE2.2 beta, some other
modules stopped working to, as I already posted "/me smacking my head"
or something.

Sound and artsd themselves are working as usual, I think this is a bug
with kcontrol.  Erasing ~/.kde did not help (but was an enlightening
experience nonetheless).

> So I guess that 'kcminit arts' does not work too.  AFAIK this starts artsd.

No, that doesn't work either.  I start artsd with `artsd -F 16 -S 4096`
from the KDE command line.  After this everything works fine, but
obviously it's not part of the KDE session management, because I have to
do that everytime I log into KDE.  (I turn my machine of every night,
and doing this every single day is annoying.  This is not Windoze after
all.  :)

> > So, can anybody point me to the relevant rcfile I have to edit in order
> > to get artsd started automagically?
>
> Options are in  ~/.kde/share/config/kcmartsrc

Doesn't exist on my system unfortunatelly.  Makes sense though, because
I erased ~/.kde and `kcmshell arts` can't create this file, because it's
broken itself.  :(

Can you send me your file as a sample?

> In case above does not work:  (untested) put an arts.directory file
> to ~/.kde/Autostart/.  Check /usr/share/autostart for templates.

Hmm, looks ugly.  I'll give it a spin.

Thanks,
Viktor
--