Re: koffice solution for small school office suite?

>> I run SO5.2 for spreadsheet applications on my P133 with 80 MB RAM.
>> Well it takes a while to start SO but then you can work pretty
>> fast.
>
>I agree.
>
>Because Star Office runs also under Windows (OpenOffice maybe also on
>Mac) it is the best choice. So you can burn some StarOffice-CD for
>your pupils and they can use it also at Home.

As far as burning CD's, you need to be sure to use the right image. Sun
does provide a CD that includes StarOffice for Solaris, Linux and M$
Windows, but the down-load package is limited to Linux. OpenOffice is even
more trouble. OpenOffice, being 'free' had to remove quite a few
proprietory lib's that StarOffice includes. This really limits the
usefullness of OpenOffice. The few times I've tried it, it was only
slightly usefull. I would recommend staying away from OpenOffice for a
while. If you don't require M$ compatibility, then I'd stay away from
StarOffice as well. koffice provides what appears to be a quite useful
Office package with what you are looking for without all the bloat of
StarOffice. Really, how many people will use StarOffice for E-Mail and web
browsing when there are so many better tools on Linux for these jobs.
StarOffice practically insists on becoming the default web browser and
E-Mail client during install, as well as trying to take over the job of
desktop. No wonder it is so bloated. The only advantage I've found for it
is its superior M$ compatibility.

>Hendrik

Cheers,

     John Gay