Re: "su" Capability Needed In Konqueror
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Robert Tilley wrote:
> Too many times I have needed to perform file manipulation using Konqueror and
> found I needed to have root's access permissions. So I out of KDE -- log
> back in as root -- do what I need -- and log back in as a normal user
Method 1 which works with any X window manager:
- open an xterm (with KDE: ALT-F2, xterm, RETURN)
- become root: su # no - so that DISPLAY is preserved
- forward X authentification:
export XAUTHORITY ~USER/.Xauthority # where USER is the owner
# of the console.
- launch any X client with root
Method 2 which seems to work with KDE/2.1 on potato:
- use the KMenu -> System -> Terminal (superuser mode)
or use the File Manager (superuser mode)
> This is needlessly complicated I feel. Does Konqueror/KDE provide a method
> to su to root within a GUI environment?
Personnally, I would never launch a file manager with root privileges:
root is for minimal interactive shell commands only.